How to create a mini Swedish spa at home
1. Dress to feel amazingThere’s nothing quite like slipping into your favourite dressing gown, pyjamas, or set of ‘comfies’. Whether they are fancy, stylish or simply a trusty old go-to, the feeling of comfort they can bring is just what you need to set your Swedish Spa moment off right.
2. Create an aromatic atmosphereSmell is without a doubt the most evocative of all senses, holding the power to transport us into different lands whilst instantly altering our mood. Channelling the power of scent through mini spa-moments such as drawing a hot bath laced with aromatic essential oils is a highly effective way of creating an atmosphere of calm. Bath oils are great for helping you achieve this in an instant by combining a relaxing aquatic scent and a soothing essential oil in one. According to Google search, Showerstoyou.co.uk found the following five essential oils to be favourites among Brits:
- Lavender – 3,600 monthly searches
- Peppermint – 1,900 monthly searches
- Lemon – 1,600 monthly searches
- Rose – 1,600 monthly searches
- Frankincense – 1,300 monthly searches
3. Get tactileWhoever said you can’t give yourself a little rub down? With beauty therapies like massages now off-limits, DIY sessions are set to be on the rise. Take five minutes to give yourself a daily Swedish hand, shoulder and head massage with luxurious oils as a reward for making it through another day of isolation. Choose ones which are enriched with floral and marine fragrances, designed to create deep relaxation from the inside out. The following video explores the basics of self-scalp massage. Scalp massage can be highly beneficial for headache pain, including tension headaches and migraines, as well as helping to relax the facial muscles and reduce jaw tension:
4. Give your hands a little extra TLCAs we turn the dial up on hand-cleanliness through extra washing and liberally applying hand sanitiser, protecting hands and nail beds from dryness is more important than ever. Turn regular moisturising into a Swedish Spa moment by reaching for hand masks and applying before bed to nourish thirsty hands. Treatments rich in vitamin-packed natural Canola Oil are highly nourishing, so you can be sure that you’ll wake up with butter-soft skin that smells sensational, too!
5. Take your timeAs we all know, me-time is a huge luxury and we rarely get enough of it in the real world. A small silver-lining to isolation means we will rarely be in a rush, so take the time to take care. Take things slow and make mini self-care spa-moments feel like they last a lifetime. Remember, although we must adhere to social distancing recommendations, you can still access the benefits of many complementary therapies from home.
Find an aromatherapist
All therapists are verified professionals.