What can Reiki do?
Reiki, as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, is "a healing technique based on the principle that the therapist can channel energy into the patient by means of touch, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient's body and restore physical and emotional well-being". It is widely accepted that Reiki can be given and received equally effectively hands-off or via distant healing; meaning, I could send you reiki wherever you are on earth, at a time to suit you.
- Encourage relaxation and bring balance to your mind and emotions, speeding up your natural self-healing.
- Help with weight management, improve skin conditions, make you sleep deeper, clarify thoughts, and make a ganglion disappear overnight!
- Be used on events and places, people and pets, using distant healing.
- Put you back in touch with your soul and life purpose; it promotes calm, peace, and well-being on all levels.
- Be used alongside orthodox and allopathic healthcare, natural remedies, expanding one's treatment options. It can alleviate pain, increase range of motion, positively support and encourage your personal choices, confidence and motivation; help one stop smoking, drink less alcohol and eat less sugar.
- Make relationships easier and put a smile on your face!
- Help you realise what's truly important to you and honour your values, energise you, and balance your chakras.
- Be used in any situation and always works for a person's highest good, whatever that may be!
The science of Reiki
Reiki, in Japanese, literally translates as 'universal life-force energy'. This system of healing was developed and named Usui Reiki Ryoho in Japan, commonly combined as Reiho, by Dr Mikau Usui in the early 20th century.
Reiki is a non-invasive complementary therapy that has been taught and used in the UK since the late 1900s, although Eastern medicine has worked with this energy for thousands of years, recognising its flow through all living things. It supports orthodox medicine; it can be used alone but is not a replacement for traditional medication. It is not based on any belief, faith or suggestion, yet scientific research using quantum physics has started to help us understand how Reiki may work to benefit the individual. In years to come, Reiki might be known as energy medicine based on scientifically measurable energy emitted from the healer's hands.
Research is producing very interesting results...
When giving Reiki, practitioners have been shown to emit electro-magnetic or bio-magnetic energy from their hands. The frequencies of the energy emitted vary from one moment to the next; many appear to correspond to those that medical researchers have identified as being the optimum frequencies for stimulating the healing process in tissues, bones, and other body parts so far investigated.
The bio-magnetic energy, or field, flowing from a practitioner's hands has been shown to induce current flows in the tissues and cells of individuals who are in close proximity, but this pulsing energy is not produced by non-practitioners of energy healing techniques.
Two ways in which these pulsing magnetic fields may stimulate repair of bone and other tissues include;
- A cascade of reactions from the cell surface to the cytoplasm and on to the nucleus and genes where selective effects on the DNA have been documented.
- Amplification, in which a single hormone molecule, neurotransmitter of photon of electromagnetic energy has been shown to trigger cellular responses; very tiny fields have been shown to produce the best effects, suggesting that living tissues are much more sensitive to external fields than previously considered possible.
Note: a bio-magnetic field can also be created by passing electric currents through living tissue as has been used for medical diagnoses and treatments for almost a century, e.g. ECG and MRI scanning.
Reiki is often referred to as an 'intelligent form of healing', and may be valuable in the prevention and remission of some serious diseases that are so costly, in terms of human suffering as well as expensive allopathic health care.
One theory is that energy healing works by opening up the communication channels that enable cells in the body to talk to each other, and opening up the terrain through which cells are able to migrate to places where they are needed to initiate repair or fight disease. Another is that these methods help to calm the person so their immune functions can operate smoothly.
Reiki is activated by intention, and requires practitioners to calm their minds and thus open up their communication channels to understand where healing is most required on a body, and for how long, to care and help the person concerned.
Visualisation techniques can also be embodied as an element of Reiki treatments at a professional practising level, which also creates measurable electrical and magnetic fields, enhancing its effectiveness.
I loved Reiki from the very first time I received it, in 2001. I cried, releasing all that pent-up emotion, yet walked home with a lightness of step and heart not felt in a long time. Reiki keeps me spiritually connected, positive, happier, at one with the universe. I give myself Holy Fire Reiki every day.
Wishing you divine love and light. Namaste.