3 common conditions aromatherapy can help with
Working primarily through inhalation or skin absorption, it can have a number of psychological and physical benefits, from boosting our moods and circulation to stimulating our immune system and easing muscle tension.
Aromatherapy can help assist our body’s natural abilities to heal, rest and recover from a wide variety of stresses and illness. One of the most popular forms of complementary therapy, aromatherapy, uses essential oils to encourage rest and relaxation, and as a result, help manage and prevent symptoms of illness.
While further research and evidence of its effectiveness is often needed, many individuals report aromatherapy helping with the following conditions.
Essential oils can work as an effective complementary treatment for a wide variety of headache types, from tension headaches to migraines. A safe and effective holistic approach, aromatherapy can provide relief while reducing our overall physical signs of stress and aiding our circulation.
Natural oils that have been known to be effective include:
- Peppermint oil to help relieve sinus pressure when inhaled, or to help combat migraines when applied directly to your forehead and temples.
- Rosemary oil to reduce stress and pain, improve circulation, and relax your muscles.
- Eucalyptus oil to clear your sinuses and soothe headaches.
Studies suggest that aromatherapy can have a positive effect on those who experience anxiety. Essential oils have been seen to have a positive effect when a few drops are added to bathwater, sprayed onto your pillow, or applied on your skin.
Natural oils that can be particularly effective include:
- Rose oil to promote calmness and reduce tension.
- Lavender to ease feelings of stress and anxiety, as well as to encourage a more restful night’s sleep.
- Vetiver oil can help promote a sense of tranquility, calm emotional stress, and ease feelings of panic.
If you have trouble falling or staying asleep, introducing aromatherapy to your nightly routine can help improve the quality of your sleep. Calming your mind and body, essential oils can reduce tension, aiding us in having a more restful night’s rest.
Natural oils that can help include:
- Chamomile applied to your pillow, to release nervous tension, fight insomnia, and fall asleep.
- Lavender to calm your nerves, relax your body, and sleep through the night.
- Bergamot to boost your mood, reduce feelings of anxiety, and achieve a more restful night sleep.
Find an aromatherapist
All therapists are verified professionals.