3 beneficial (and safe) complementary therapies for kids
With increased numbers of children feeling stressed due to school, exams and social media pressures, traditional avenues that children and parents may seek help from are finding themselves unable to cope due to increased demand, leading to even longer wait times.
Complementary therapies can help children and teens relax, release tension, and discover healthy, sustainable ways to manage their stress – before they feel overwhelmed or unable to cope.
Aromatherapy for relaxation, stress, mood, and well-being
One of the most popular forms of complementary therapies, aromatherapy, uses essential oils from plants and flowers to assist the body’s natural abilities to heal, rest and recover. Aromatherapy can be particularly beneficial for stress-related concerns including headaches, anxiety and insomnia. Some parents report aromatherapy can also help ease travel sickness for children.
Used through smell or skin absorption, aromatherapy massage is one of the more popular options available as it can have positive psychological benefits. These include lifting mood, promoting relaxation, reducing stress and nervous tension, as well as improving an overall sense of well-being. Physically, aromatherapy massages can help stimulate the body’s immune system, ease muscle tension and boost circulation.
Aromatherapy can also be beneficial during pregnancy, labour and after giving birth, as many mothers report it can help ease tension and anxiety. Try aromatherapy at home or with an experienced aromatherapist.
Ayurveda for anxiety, stress, and balance
Ayurveda encompasses a wide range of treatments and techniques. Referring to a traditional medicine native to India, Ayurveda helps connect the body, mind and spirit with the belief that this balance encourages wellness and can help prevent illness.
Incorporating a wide variety of techniques and treatments including massage, meditation, breathing exercises, yoga and sound therapy, Ayurveda is thought to be particularly beneficial in helping relieve anxiety and stress. A trained Ayurvedic practitioner can help tailor which elements could best help you, your child or teen.
Helpful techniques for children and teens can include:
- Meditation – to help kids and teens calm their minds, face emotional challenges and improve their self-esteem. These tips can get you started, giving advice on which meditation techniques can be particularly beneficial for children aged five to eight, nine to 12, and older than 13.
- Yoga – bringing together movement and breathing techniques to promote better physical and mental well-being, yoga can help improve strength and flexibility while reducing stress levels. Seen as a calming form of exercise for many, yoga can be a good way to introduce relaxation and mindfulness into children and teen’s routines.
Yoga Journal has some great introductory poses that can be simple for children and parents to try together, helping set the foundations for a more mindful future and healthy lifestyle.
Crystal healing for improved concentration, sleep, and general well-being
A holistic, natural therapy, crystal healing can affect the body and mind by placing crystals on or around you, helping unblock, focus and direct energy. A simple way to help children overcome obstacles in their daily lives, parents have found these seven healing crystals for children can be particularly effective.
Three recommended healing crystals for children include:
- Amethyst – a calming crystal that can prevent nightmares and help children sleep better when placed near their bed or beneath their pillow.
- Rose quartz – providing a gentle, loving energy, rose quartz can help soothe children’s emotions and help them to overcome hurt when carried around in their pocket, a bracelet or as a pendant.
- Sodalite – can help children remain calm and aid them in thinking more clearly. Sodalite can be useful when placed nearby while doing homework or going to school.
Crystal healing has no known side-effects, with people reporting feelings of deep relaxation and improved general-wellbeing. You can try crystal healing at home, or with the help of a crystal therapist.
Find a therapist dealing with Aromatherapy
All therapists are verified professionals.