Ayurveda for PCOS
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition seen in women from 15 – 40 years of age. It is one of most common reasons for infertility in women and is characterised by anovulation (failure to produce eggs from an ovary), hirsutism (excess hair), hyperinsulinemia (high levels of insulin the body) and cyst formation in ovaries. It is considered one of the main reasons for couples choosing IVF as an option. Treatment includes correcting the hormonal imbalance in the body, regulating insulin levels in blood and ovulation.
According to Ayurveda, PCOS is thought to be caused by vitiation of mainly kapha dosha blocking Pitta and Vata. This leads to an imbalance in hormones resulting in irregular menstrual cycle. This is what causes anovulation. Ayurveda has some promising treatments to work on PCOS. Ayurveda describes natural herbs which can restore menstruation and promote ovulation.
- Treatment regimen includes Kapha alleviation via food and exercise. Clearing obstruction of Vata and Pitta by herbs and treatments.
- Mainly Kapha alleviating diet and exercise are recommended.
- Yoga and exercise poses such as the sarvangasana, matsyasana, ardhamatyasana, pachhomottanasana are beneficial.
- Drink a glass of warm water half an hour before lunch.
- All spices except salt are good for kapha.
- Foods which are pungent, bitter and astringent will reduce kapha.
- “Phala grita” an Ayurvedic ghee for clearing hormonal imbalance is highly recommended.
- Aloe Vera, satavari, cinnamon, aswaghanda, fennel, ashoka are phytosterols useful in regularising menstrual cycle.
- “Vasti” and “Virechana” Ayurvedic panchakarma treatments are very useful in this condition.
Ayurvedic therapy is a complementary therapy that can be used alongside conventional medicine. If you are concerned you may have PCOS, please seek medical advice.
Therapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Varalakshmi Yanamandra
Dr. Varalakshmi Yanamandra is an experienced Ayurvedic Doctor with Bachelors in Ayurveda from India. She is full time member of Ayurvedic Practitioner’s Association UK. She was inspired by Ayurveda’s principles and natural methods. She graduated in BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery) degree from NTR University of Health Sciences.