Winter and our skin
The temperature is dropping and we can feel the winter on our skin. Today is a beautiful day, blue sky, calm wind, and we need a lot of gadgets to keep us warm.
Our skin is the first to react.
Inside our car, public transport, house, work, shop, etc the heat is on, and it brings a dry sensation to our nose, throat and hands.
So, drinking plenty of water and tea (herbal is the ideal) is very important. Winter gives us a sensation that we don't need to drink, but this isn't true. We need to keep drinking to help clean out our system and keep us hydrated.
"Drink more water. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day will help to eliminate toxins. Not everyone will agree that water consumption will improve skin… but it certainly can't hurt. Many people often report that by increasing their water intake, their skin has a more radiant glow" (uwheatth.org)
Another important detail, when you have a shower, is to check the water temperature. Avoid making it too hot, as hot water can damage our skin and can lead to dry, itchy skin or even rashes. Cooler or lukewarm showers even just a few times a week can keep skin hydrated and help hair stay strong and shiny.
To be clean is wonderful and when we add a special treat, it's even better.
So, what can aromatherapy do for you?
Well, aromatherapy is a fantastic holistic therapy, where we can treat not just common physical imbalance, but help to lift our mood too.
To complete the care with our skin, it would be worth applying a body cream, body lotion or even a body oil. One of these options can be a base to add your favourite essential oil or a specific one related to your skin condition at the moment.
A favourite choice would be for a Body oil to be applied straight away after you have dried your body. Why a Body oil? Body oil can cover and protect our skin against the elements, keeping it smooth, soft and balanced.
To prepare your own body oil, you can follow this recipe:
- 200ml sweet almond oil - rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins; helps relieve itching, soreness, dryness and inflammation.
- 50ml carrot oil - can help with premature ageing, psoriasis, eczema, itching, dryness; rejuvenating, reduces scarring
- 35 drops of ginger essential oil - can be a good stimulant, analgesic, and can help with muscle fatigue, colds and flu and tiredness. Or you can substitute by using peppermint, lavender, rose or another of your preference
- Mix well and store in a container that you can manipulate safely after your shower or bath.
How to use:
- Apply body oil, all over after you have dried your body
- Don't forget your elbows, knees and heels. You will notice how easy your skin will absorb it, leaving a beautiful sensation left behind.
So, let's do it, because you deserve it. Don't forget - you are a unique individual; there isn't anyone else like you. Show to yourself that you know this to be true!
Therapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.