Get rid of back pain and correct your posture with GPR treatments!
Do you experience regular back pain, headaches, sciatica? Do you feel you have ‘bad posture’? Is your posture causing you to suffer?
Global postural re-education (GPR), or Mézières method, is a physiotherapy treatment that is designed to find general imbalances in your musculature, including contracted or shrunken muscles.
It seeks to relax tensions and restore physiological lengths so that the body regains its harmonious form and movements. It is a harmonious form that determines a harmonious function; i.e. function is regained due to the form and not the other way around.
GPR demands great precision and requires from the therapist a rigorous and minute observation of the whole body in its most different adaptive behaviours. It aims to facilitate the body’s homeostasis, which is the system’s capability of finding balance and repairing itself.
The goals of GPR treatments are to:
- Uncover the causes of pain and treat them efficiently and durably.
- Relax muscle tensions and restore lost balance, regaining harmony and flexibility.
- Retrieve initial length of shrunken muscles in order to decompress and re-align joints.
GPR treatment will involve:
- Applying continuous and simultaneous traction and manually correct the body’s adaptations as much as possible.
- Placing the patient in global stretching postures (either sitting or lying supine) and maintaining these global postures for a prolonged time.
- Initiate active movements from the patient (guided by the therapist) in association with breathing techniques to help correct the joints’ position and stretch the diaphragm.
Therapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Paolo Salvatore
I am a musculoskeletal physiotherapist (MSc manual therapy, BSc physiotherapy, GPR (global postural re-education) qualified, PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitations) qualified, Reiki qualified, CSP, HCPC) with more than 10 years’ experience in this great science! Get in touch for mobile physiotherapy treatments in the comfort of your home.… Read more
Located in London.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: