Ayurveda home remedies for a cough
A cough is a reflex action to clear the airways. In general, there are two types:
1. Dry cough – It is caused when a foreign particle irritates the throat and it is felt like a tickle.
2. Productive cough – It is caused when the phlegm causes irritation in your chest. It usually occurs as a secondary cause of respiratory infection, allergic rhinitis, bronchitis, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
There is no recommended treatment for a cough which is not caused by the aforementioned types. It will clear by itself within three weeks.
From Ayurveda’s perspective, a cough is caused by excess kapha, pitta accumulation in your chest cavity or bronchial tree, as a result of which congestion, irritation occurs.
- Honey is considered a universal remedy for soothing the irritation caused by cough.
- Eat a ripe banana with one teaspoon of honey and two pinches of ground black pepper. Eat it two to three times a day.
- Try chewing ¼ teaspoon of ajwain with natural organic sugar.
- Boil one cup of milk with ½ teaspoon of turmeric and ¼ teaspoon ginger, drink this milk at night to relieve the irritation and congestion.
- The simplest home remedy for a productive cough is black pepper. Eat ¼ black pepper powder with 1 teaspoon of honey/ghee (recommended if you have a hoarse voice).
- Prepare a tea by adding ½ teaspoon of ginger powder, plus a pinch of clove and a pinch of cinnamon powder to boiled water.
- Mix together ½ ground mustard powder and ½ teaspoon of ground ginger into teaspoon of honey and eat slowly. Eat it two to three times a day.
- Add one teaspoon of honey with a pinch of clove powder. Eat it two to three times a day.
For a cough in children:
Try giving them ½ cup pomegranate juice with a pinch of ginger powder and a pinch of pippali powder.
Honey is not recommended for infants under 1 year of age.
Ayurvedic medicine for reducing cough is ‘sitopaladi churna’ for productive cough and for a dry cough ‘Talisadi churna’ with one teaspoon of honey taken twice daily.
Find a therapist dealing with Ayurveda
All therapists are verified professionals.