Aromatherapy is both an art and a science. The aromatherapist will artfully blend and combine essential oils in order to produce new scents, tailored to the individual and their needs.
Aromatherapy uses essential oils to promote relaxation, as well as helping to balance and rejuvenate the body, mind and spirit. It is believed to improve quality of life on emotional, physical and spiritual levels.
The idea of aromatherapy is to find the scents that evoke positive feelings and emotions. Once these are recognised, the aromatherapist will create a combination of essential oils tailored to the individual. The therapist and individual will then work together to introduce the scents into their daily routine to enhance well-being and promote relaxation.
The results of aromatherapy will differ to each individual. While there is a common belief that certain oils have certain effects, no two people are affected by the same essential oil in the same way. Sometimes the same individual will experience different effects depending on their environment or mood.
Taking the time to experience each essential oil is the best way to learn about their affects and create a personal connection. If you are considering aromatherapy, try to evaluate each aroma to the following:
As you inhale an essential oil, describe the aroma.
- Is it subtle or sharp?
- Is it balanced, light or heavy?
- It is soothing, warming, cooling?
Next, describe how you feel about the aroma.
- Do you like it?
- Does it remind you of a memory or feeling?
- What emotion does the aroma produce?
- How has it affected you, is it relaxing or energising?
Beginner’s guide to essential oils
If you want to incorporate aromatherapy into your daily routine, or continue at-home practise inbetween sessions, it is a good idea to know what you are after and the effect of the oils.
- Lavender – a balancing scent. It soothes and clarifies.
- Eucalyptus – a purifying scent. It can be cooling, balancing and invigorating.
- Peppermint – known to be refreshing and cooling.
- Ylang ylang – a sensual scent. Thought to be euphoric, romantic and exotic.
- Bergamot – known to be uplifting. This scent can promote confidence.