Reflexology involves applying pressure to certain areas of the foot to encourage healing throughout the body. The idea behind it is that areas of the feet (known as reflexes) correspond to other areas of the body. By stimulating these reflexes, the other areas of the body are prompted to begin healing.
Take a look at the following reasons to try reflexology:
1. Relaxation – Feeling similar to a massage and usually done in calming surroundings, many people try reflexology purely for its relaxation benefits.
2. Improved well-being – Reflexology is considered a holistic therapy and therefore aims to balance and restore the body as a whole.
3. Stress relief – Allowing you to truly switch off and relax, reflexology can help to reduce stress levels.
4. Eases tension – It can be surprising just how much tension we hold in our bodies, reflexology aims to relieve tension throughout the entire body.
5. Improves circulation – Prompting blood flow to the extremities, reflexology helps to boost and improve circulation.
6. Detoxes the body – The practice encourages the body to gently detoxify, so ensure you drink plenty of water after your session to help flush out toxins.
7. Boosts the immune system – Reflexology encourages the body’s self-healing process, helping it to ward off infection.
8. Helps you sleep – The relaxing qualities of the therapy make it ideal for those who struggle to sleep.
9. Quiets the mind – Working on an emotional level as well as a physical level, reflexology gives you the time and space to de-stress and quiets any racing thoughts.
10. Increases energy – Feeling lethargic is often a sign that your body isn’t working as efficiently as it could. As a balancing therapy, reflexology should leave you feeling refreshed and revitalised.
Find a reflexologist in your area here.
View and comment on the original Natural Healing article.