All you need to know about yoga…
- The word Yoga means 'union' in Sanskrit, which refers to the blending of the mind, body and spirit in the ancient art.
- Yoga dates back to around 5000 years ago when it was first used in ancient India before influencing Hindu and Buddhist cultures.
- Many of the most popular exercises in use today such as the 'sun salutation' were actually invented in the 20th century.
- Yoga was rebranded as 'a healthy way of life' during the 1920s by Indian nationalist Jagannath G Gune.
- The past decade has seen a 40 per cent rise in the number of individuals taking part in yoga.
- An estimated 500,000 individuals now practice yoga in Britain.
- There are an estimated 10,000 yoga teachers in this country, most registered with organisations.
Find a yoga therapist
All therapists are verified professionals.