Valerie Hirst MSTAT RMN RGN
- I am a teacher of the Alexander Technique. The technique is about the study of how we 'use ourselves', i.e. how we move, how we use our bodies in our daily lives
- Many people have aches and pains which are often down to long habitual habits, and patterns of movement that are not helpful
- My work is to observe what these habits might be, and help correct them. It may be that you are holding tension in a particular area, due to work related issues. After many weeks,months years, the habits become ingrained and tightening often occurs, creating pain.
- So freeing you up is one way of understanding what the Alexander Technique achieves, also making you aware of how to continue making the changes for yourself.
- Often a person will have seen Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, GPs, for pain medication. These may have helped for a while, but fundamentally the problem is often still there. Until you learn what it is you are doing or not doing in activity, the problem will persist.
- Each session lasts an hour and you will learn quite a lot in the first session, and we can decide whether a series of sessions would be useful for you
Training, qualifications & experience
- I qualified as an Alexander Teacher in 1998 after completing my 3 years full time training course in Leeds.
- Before teaching the Alexander Technique I qualified in both general and psychiatric nursing. Most of my years of Nursing work were as a Sister in the community working with people with various mental problems.
- I am very interested and experienced in understanding the connection between mind and body, and how working with the physical can help with the emotional and well being of an individual.
- The technique has been taught for over a hundred years, created by Mathias Alexander
I charge £34.00 for each session lasting an hour
If you have been diagnosed with or suspect you may have a pre-existing medical condition you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Maps & Directions
I work Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday, between 9.30am and 6.00pm