Valerie Hirst MSTAT RMN RGN
- I am a teacher of the Alexander Technique. The technique is about the study of how we 'use ourselves', i.e. how we move, how we use our bodies in our daily lives
- Many people have aches and pains which are often down to long habitual habits, and patterns of movement that are not helpful
- My work is to observe what these habits might be, and help correct them. It may be that you are holding tension in a particular area, due to work related issues. After many weeks,months years, the habits become ingrained and tightening often occurs, creating pain.
- So freeing you up is one way of understanding what the Alexander Technique achieves, also making you aware of how to continue making the changes for yourself.
- Often a person will have seen Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, GPs, for pain medication. These may have helped for a while, but fundamentally the problem is often still there. Until you learn what it is you are doing or not doing in activity, the problem will persist.
- Each session lasts an hour and you will learn quite a lot in the first session, and we can decide whether a series of sessions would be useful for you
Training, qualifications & experience
- I qualified as an Alexander Teacher in 1998 after completing my 3 years full time training course in Leeds.
- Before teaching the Alexander Technique I qualified in both general and psychiatric nursing. Most of my years of Nursing work were as a Sister in the community working with people with various mental problems.
- I am very interested and experienced in understanding the connection between mind and body, and how working with the physical can help with the emotional and well being of an individual.
- The technique has been taught for over a hundred years, created by Mathias Alexander
I charge £34.00 for each session lasting an hour
Maps & Directions
I work Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday, between 9.30am and 6.00pm