Nailsworth Natural Health Centre
I offer 1-2-1 yoga sessions in Trauma Sensitive Yoga, Yoga for Stress and Anxiety, ME / CFS and Fibromyalgia. These yoga sessions are a little different to the usual format of a yoga class. The sessions employ a therapeutic and mindfulness approach to help one connect to the body, be with the sensations of the body as they arise, and to watch the ripples of the mind. These sessions help to feel more connected and to feel safer and more at ease in the body. In doing so help to create more positive relationship with the body and mind,and ultimately lead to empowerment. I also offer Homeopathic 1-2-1 sessions and Yoga Medicine sessions, which use a blend of Homeopathy and Yoga.
My heart is fired by the social applications and therapeutics of yoga, having experienced intense and lengthy periods of anxiety in my life. I have experienced the incredible power of my transformation using both yoga (and homeopathy). Yoga brings great gifts (as does life itself), to understand ourselves and our relationship with the world. Yoga can reach deep within, informing and transforming not only our physical body, but our perception, attitudes and beliefs - pure alchemy unfolding both on and off the mat!
As a yoga teacher, I feel my role is to facilitate the journey of inner discovery on the mat. I advocate that we honour the body's current state of being through openess, non-judgment and ahimsa (non-violence). My intention is to teach from the heart, flow from integrity and empower people to embody their body, unraveling tension from both the mind and body and connecting with their own essence.
Training, qualifications & experience
2002-2006 Homeopath LCPH (Practical College of Homeopathy, London)
2010 Sivanada Yoga 200 hrs
2012 Birthlight Perinatal Diploma
2013 Birthlight Baby Yoga Training
2013 Trauma Sensitive Yoga Training Intensive
2014 Birthlight Toddler Yoga Training
2014 Rainbow Kids Yoga Training Intensive
I have attended 335 hours of yoga training. I continue to attend yoga and well-being workshops and trainings to facilitate and deepen my learning and embodiment.
I am soon to embark on training for my Myofacia Release Diploma.
Appointments available on:
Saturdays @ Nailsworth Natural Health Clinic, Nailsworth
Monday and Tuesdays @ 5 Valleys Physio, Stroud and Yoga Tula Studio, Stonehouse.
"I contacted Nikki regarding some trauma-sensitive yoga as I went through a traumatic bereavement and relocation. I have regularly used yoga and other holistic methods as support, but because I had to remove myself from life for quite a few months, the treatment I had with Nikki was needed to aid my recovery. Nikki's approach is so genuine and she has amazing knowledge and a gentle spiritual depth that truly makes you feel heard, your feelings are taken seriously and without judgement." BS
"The yoga for ME sessions are great. I have done loads of yoga previously but, since struggling with fatigue and pain I have had to stop going to other classes as I simply didn't have the stamina, or ended up making my back pain worse. Its no fun going to a class and having to sit out too many of the postures. I now leave a session feeling refreshed rather than depleted. In particular the restorative poses, and eclectic approach, such as Yoga Nidra/mindfulness have also been beneficial. " S
* Breathe Deep: Dan Moricoli on Yoga and Recovering From Chronic Fatigue Syndromehttp://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2015/04/15/breathe-deep-moricoli-yoga-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/
* Effects of yoga on the autonomic nervous system, gamma-aminobutyric-acid, and allostasis in epilepsy, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Streeter CC1, Gerbarg PL, Saper RB, Ciraulo DA, Brown RP. Med Hypotheses. 2012 May;78(5):571-9. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2012.01.021. Epub 2012 Feb 24.
* J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Feb;9(2):CC01-5. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/11426.5551. Epub 2015 Feb 1.
Effect of yoga module on pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in industrial workers of lonavla: a randomized controlled trial.
Rajbhoj PH1, Shete SU1, Verma A1, Bhogal RS2.
* Fiona Agombar, Beat Fatigue with Yoga: A Step-by-step Guide Paperback – 1 May 2006
* Takakazu Oka1*, Tokusei Tanahashi1, Takeharu Chijiwa1, Battuvshin Lkhagvasuren1, Nobuyuki Sudo1 and Kae Oka2: Isometric yoga improves the fatigue and pain of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome who are resistant to conventional therapy: a randomized, controlled trial. BioPsychoSocial Medicine 2014, 8:27 doi:10.1186/s13030-014-0027-8
* C. Woodyard: Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life: Int: J Yoga. 2011 Jul-Dec; 4(2): 49–54. doi: 10.4103/0973-6131.85485 PMCID: PMC3193654
* Rick Nauert PhD: Yoga Enhances Mood, Relieves Anxiety: Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine:
* Yoga for anxiety and depression : Harvard Mental Health Letter: Studies suggest that this practice modulates the stress response.
* 2007 in the journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
* Effects of Antenatal Yoga on Maternal Anxiety and Depression: A Randomized Controlled Trial” in published in the Journal Depression and Anxiety on 1 May 2014 - http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/article/?id=11996
If you have been diagnosed with or suspect you may have a pre-existing medical condition you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Maps & Directions