Christina Grapes, MBAcC
Nuffield Health & Fitness
Wellness Therapy Centre
Inside Virgin Active
44 Surrey Street
020 84662838 / 07954 576944
My main areas of focus are all aspects of women's health issues, from menarche to menopause to restore, promote and maintain our good health.
I am committed to continuing my professional development and regularly undertake post-graduate studies, such as:
- Auricular (ear) acupuncture
- Scalp acupuncture for treating stroke and multiple sclerosis
- IVF, infertility and Chinese Medicine
- Neuromuscular Taping
- Stress and adrenal fatigue
- Pregnancy acupuncture
- Understanding and treating Endometriosis
As a member of the British Acupuncture Council , I am covered by professional indemnity insurance and bound by a strict code of professional conduct, ethics and safe practice. I also hold a valid First Aid At Work Certificate.
All new patients are welcome to have a fifteen minute free assessment to discuss the possibility of effective treatment. In this way, you have the opportunity to meet me personally and ask any questions before starting treatment.
Training, Qualifications & Experience
I graduated from the University of Westminster with a BSc Honours degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Acupuncture. This three year course included a comprehensive study of both TCM and Western medical sciences to ensure a good understanding of the conventional illnesses diagnosed and treated by doctors.
Within traditional acupuncture there are several specific techniques which can be used as stand-alone treatments. As a BAcC member, we are familiar with these techniques and use them when appropriate, usually as part of an overall individualised treatment plan. In addition to needling acupuncture points, a traditional acupuncture treatment may include other Chinese medicine techniques such as:
- Moxibustion: application of indirect heat using moxa (therapeutic herbs) and/or heat lamps to warm and relax muscles and energy meridians.
- Tuina (Chinese therapeutic massage): to relieve muscle tension, stimulate acupressure points, open energy meridians and stimulate the flow of qi.
- Electro-acupuncture: a very low frequency electrical current (1Hz) is applied to the needle to increase blood flow, relax muscle tissue and clear stagnant qi.
- Cupping: glass cups with a vacuum seal are placed on the skin to stimulate blood flow and clear stagnant qi.
- Quasha: vigorous rubbing of the skin to increase blood flow and clear stagnant qi.
Auricular acupuncture uses acupuncture points located on the ear. Often used with other styles of acupuncture or on its own.
Areas of therapy I deal with
£50 intial consultation (75 mins)
£40 follow-up treatments (60 mins)
£40 acupressure workshops for couples for childbirth (60 mins)
£38 follow up treatments (45 mins)
£30 follow up treatments (30 mins) including pregnancy, pre-birth and 'moxa for breech' treatments
IVF treatments (outside normal hours - £50-60 per session depending on location)
£15 for 45 mins (Ear Acupuncture - group setting of 2 or more)
Introductory Offer - £25 for 30 mins
If you are new to acupuncture, why not try a 'taster' session. It allows you to experience the calming and relaxing effects of acupuncture prior to any commitment to a full consultation and course of treatments.
Please note there is a 24hr cancellation policy. Cancelled appointments at short notice may be charged a fee (up to 50%).
Why use a BAcC Member?
This link explains the benefits of visiting a BAcC member
Private Health Insurers
As demand for complementary medicine increases and its beneficial effects become more widely recognised, more and more private health insurance companies (PHIs) are offering cover for acupuncture. Please check with your current insurer.
PointsPlus Acupuncture are, however, registered with the following providers:
- BUPA CashPlan
- Standard Life Health Care
- Simply Health (formerly HSA)