How to get rid of cough with home made onion syrup
17th March, 20150 Comments
Written by: Judyta Zyrek NIMH Medical Herbalist
If you or your child is suffering from nasty cough, why not try homemade onion syrup - a traditional remedy for mucus congested chest? Onions are not only tasty but they also have been proven to protect against microbial growth such as: Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus faecalis, Candida albicans, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp and Shigella dysenteriae (Adeleye & Opiah, 2003).
What is even more wonderful, is onions are inexpensive, widely available and simple to use. This onion syrup recipe is very sweet and likeable by children.
To make onion syrup you will need:
- One whole fairly big peeled onion (red apparently is better than yellow, however I had good results by using either one of them) .
- Sugar or honey .
- Chopping board and a knife.
- Small sterile jar.
1. Chop your onion into medium-sized slices and place them in the jar to about ¼ of the jar.
2. Pour about 2tbs sugar/honey on top and then add another layer of sliced onions.
3. Continue with this method, layering onion then sugar until whole jar is covered.
4. Once you finish layering, put screw on the jar and leave it warm place for couple of hours.
5. You can strain the syrup and refrigerated it for three days.
Children 0-4 years old: ¼ of a teaspoon, older children 1 teaspoon twice a day.
Adults: 1-2 teaspoon 4 times a day.
Warning: If you are sensitive to onion or for any other reason cannot consume onions refrain from using this remedy. Do not exceed recommended dosages. If you cough persist please contact your GP or other health advisor.
Tip: Chewing cardamom of fennel seeds may help to fresh your breath after onion syrup.
About the author
Judyta Zyrek MNIMH is a medical herbalist based in Isleworth, Twickenham and Teddington.
Therapy Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Purple Butterfly HealingJanuary 7th, 2017
Most viewed articles
Holly Hinton BSc (Hons) Geoscience, Dip CSCTFebruary 3rd, 2014
Vishal Kohli BAMS, PGPP, PGDKPJuly 18th, 2012
Vishal Kohli BAMS, PGPP, PGDKPJune 11th, 2012