These are often used in treatments such as aromatherapy massage and inhalation. It is believed that these oils can help reduce stress and improve well-being.
Many people do not know the benefits aromatherapy oils can have on our well-being and health.
Essential oils can be helpful in the treatment of a number of health concerns, including anxiety, stress and sleep problems as well as helping to reduce the symptoms of colds, sinus problems and stomach aches.
Below are 10 reasons why you should try essential oils:
- Essential oils are antiseptic and antiviral. They are believed to help combat infection by killing off viruses and bacteria.
- Essential oils can improve mind and body. The pleasant aroma can stimulate us psychologically and physically. Research suggests that aromatherapy for inhalation can cause neurotransmitters such as pain-reducing enkephalin and relaxing serotonin to be released.
- Essential oils are powerful antioxidants.
- Essential oils are thought to have a detoxifying effect on the body. Experts say they may help detoxify your cells and blood.
- Essential oils can be used through massage or inhalation. When applied topically or inhaled, essential oils are absorbed into your blood stream, promoting fast relief.
- Essential oils can purify the air. They can eliminate odours from cooking, mould and animals. Oils for the home are both relaxing and can cover smells – try keeping some in the front room.
- They are versatile and inexpensive. Essential oils are only used in small doses – one bottle will last a long time and can be used for various ailments. For example, lavender promotes relaxation, is believed to improve sleep and reduce itching from bug bites.
- They are quick to take effect. According to Jean V. MD, essential oils are lipid-soluble, therefore can affect the cells in your body within 20 minutes.
- Essential oils are small. They can penetrate every tissue in your skin. Try adding some oils to your bath for a relaxing dip.
- Research suggests they stimulate blood flow. According to researchers at Vienna University, essential oils help stimulate blood flow therefore increasing your body’s ability to deliver nutrients and oxygen.