Acupuncture involves fine, sterile needles being placed into certain points of the body. The aim of the therapy is to free up energy channels of the body and overcome physical and mental ailments. Acupuncture has been shown to help with a variety of ailments, and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) especially recommends the therapy for chronic back pain.
If you haven’t tried it already, keep reading for 10 reasons to try acupuncture:
1. No negative side effects – Unlike some drug treatments, acupuncture is safe and does not have any negative side effects.
2. Personalised treatment – Practitioners treat everyone individually so your treatment will always be tailored to you.
3. Practitioners will spend time with you – You will never feel rushed, most practitioners spend from 45 minutes to an hour with you during each treatment.
4. May help with conditions that don’t have a clear explanation – While modern medicine may not be able to find the cause of your health problem, acupuncture may be able to help treat the symptoms.
5. Works as a preventative medicine – You don’t have to wait until you get ill before trying acupuncture, many people enjoy its benefits as part of a commitment to overall well-being.
6. Can help with emotional issues too – Acupuncture isn’t just for physical problems, it can help with emotional issues such as depression and anxiety too.
7. Treatment is fun – Practitioners aim to make treatments lighthearted and calming, making the process a pleasure rather than a chore.
8. Can help to keep you healthy – Regular treatments can keep you healthy so you may not need to rely on conventional medicine as much.
9. Low cost – Compared to some modern forms of healthcare, acupuncture is relatively low in price.
10. Two billion people can’t be wrong – Roughly one third of the world’s population use acupuncture as their primary form of healthcare.
Find out more and find an acupuncturist near you on our acupuncture page.
View and comment on the original Alaska Center for Acupuncture article.