If Christmas has tired you out, you may need a little help in the energy department. Rather than relying on strong coffee or sugary snacks, give your energy levels a natural boost with the following holistic tips:
Start your day right
Most of us will agree that the way our day begins can set the tone for the rest of the day. So if you get out of bed thinking negative thoughts, stub your toe and then run out of hot water when you want to take a shower – the rest of your day may well go badly.
To start as you mean to go on, try the following:
- Make your first thought of the day a positive one. If you forget, and start to think negatively – turn this around as quickly as possible to put you in a happier frame of mind.
- Do something physical – this could be a few gentle yoga stretches of a heart-pumping cardio session, either way by getting your body moving your energy levels will soar.
- Have a cleansing drink. Hot water and lemon is perfect for this as it is naturally detoxing. If you want to feel more mentally alert, add a sprig of rosemary or for a sweeter treat, add a dollop of honey.
- Eat a balanced breakfast within one hour of waking. Not only will this fire up your metabolism, it will give your energy levels a boost to help you feel more awake for longer.
Wash away your worries
Introducing a cleansing ritual at the end of the day can help you put your worries behind you and prepare you for a good night’s sleep (essential for maintaining your energy boost).
Try the following techniques before you head to bed:
- Run yourself a warm bath with orange and bergamot essential oil and visualise the water washing away your worries and tension.
- Have an aromatherapy shower by dropping some essential oils onto the bottom of the shower so they release there scent when warms water rushes over it. Again, spend some time visualising the water cleansing your mind as well as your body.
Instant energy boosters
If you are out and about or are simply short on time, try these instant energy boosters:
- Clear your head by gently tapping your knuckles against your head for a few minutes.
- Inhale tea tree oil to feel a sense of calm and clarity during a stressful moment.
- Hold a piece of quartz crystal over your solar plexus (under your sternum and above your navel) and imagine that you are breathing in vibrant energy and breathing out negative energy.
To find out more about holistic and natural therapies, please browse our Therapy Topics.
View and comment on the original Natural Health article.